Story of the Band
From the garage to the stage
"The Blues Co." was originally created in 1853 as a 4 piece blues band. Many changes have brought us to the final line up, as a trio, core members Fil and Neil remain. The addition of John on drums and percussion in late 2016 has transformed the band into a more balanced and powerful unit. We are still blues orientated, but now with added touches of soul, funk and rock.
Neil took over lead vocals as we reformed into a trio, his talent and ability continues to inspire us. At the same time as singing and playing he operates the excellent band lighting with his feet. A true multi- tasker who off stage deals with nearly every technical aspect of the band. His musical and technical knowledge is astounding.
John was basically head hunted by Fil in 2016, his percussive talents have given the band a whole new sound and dynamism. Always pushing us and bringing out the best in each of us, a sheer joy to play with, John believes (like the great Buddy Rich) that you're not a drummer unless you have a grasp of all styles of music. He fuses rock, soul and funk giving "The Blues Co" a truly unique sound and feel.
Fil stays true to the original spirit of bass playing, his rock solid bass playing is rooted in the traditional style of the blues greats, Duck Dunn, James Jamerson, Jack Bruce, etc', deep, heavy and solid. He is the soul of the band, with a no nonsense approach to his instrument. He believes in playing simply but well, which is what all the best players do, laying the foundation for other band members to shine through.
Everyone brings their own unique talent both on and off stage.
"The Blues Co." is all about enjoying what we do, doing it to the best of our abilities and producing the best show we possibly can.
Neil's current equipment
- Over a dozen electric guitars: PRS, Fender, Hamer, Vox, etc.
- Nearly 20 guitar amplifiers: Mesa Boogie, Bogner, Fender, Rivera, Laney, etc.
- A ridiculous number of pedals: use mainly wah-overdrive-distortion-chorus-delay.
- One single 30 year old guitar strap!
Fil's current equipment
- Hartke HA 350 Head
- Markbass little Mark11
- Markbass 410 hf
- Tc electronics BG 250 15
- Tc electronics 2x12
- Warwick,Yamaha,Squire,Grant and Cobalt basses
- Xtend Wireless system
Johns current equipment
- TAMA 6 piece Birch drum kit in mirror chrome finish ply. TAMA stands
- TAMA "Sound Lab Project" 15 x 5 1/2 steel snare drum
- SABIAN AAX "bright cymbals" and 15" Hi Hats
- ZILDJIAN dipped 5b drumsticks
- AXIS "direct drive" double kick pedal
- EVANS drumheads
- BIG DOG drum throne
- Flagship Yamaha 7 pad DTXtreme 950 K electronic drumkit (for venues with noise limits)
- PA Rigs:
- Small venue Set Up: 3000 watt Mackie loudspeakers and monitor
- Big venue Set Up: 8000 watt Denon Axis loudspeakers and subwoofers
- Lighting Rigs:
- 4no 4-head PARs
- 2no 4-head Moonflowers
- 2no moving head wash
- 2 no moving head spot